SickGear has proven the most reliable stable TV descendant of the great SickBeard to fully automate TV enjoyment with innovation.
Typically used with usenet and/or other download clients e.g. NZBGet, SABNZBd, qBittorrent, Transmission, Deluge, rTorrent and others, SickGear can also interact with Kodi, Emby, and Plex to automate library updates and manage watched episodes. Popular services like Slack, Discord, Gitter, Email, and hardware devices can be notified of events.
Some of the sick innovative gear you get;
• View new seasons, popular, etc. shows from Trakt, IMDb, TVmaze, AniDB and others
• Advanced 'Add show' finder sorts results A-Z, aired, or by relevancy
• Most recent added and updated shows available via menu quick links
• Daily Schedule ... "Day by Day" displays upcoming release fanart backgrounds
• Automated search always works to save you time manually picking from lists
• Comprehensive selection of built-in providers deliver new and older stuff
• Custom RSS sources can be added
• Delete watched episodes from any profile in Kodi, Emby, and/or Plex
• Keep all, or a number of most recent episodes; e.g. keep the last 40 releases
• Select a UI style anytime; Regular, Proview I, or Proview II
• Smart fanart system allows ultimate control to rate avoid/prefer
• UI can be moved or toggled off/on at anytime to fully appreciate a fanart
• Built-in source providers for max. efficiency with hit graphs and failure stats
• Script for all downloaders to push on complete instead of polling entire lists
• Server friendly with minimal number of API calls
• Features that inspire imitators
• Used on servers, to smaller SoC devices like RPi, BPi etc.
Snap specific notes;
• System locale must include utf-8 to support show names like "Les Misérables"
To run a SickGear install, you mustsudo;
• sudo /snap/bin/sickgear (use which sickgear to find path, e.g. /snap/bin/sickgear)
...otherwise, SickGear will exit with a data directory write permission failure message.
People failing to properly run SG left poor reviews, kindly leave a positive review to help.
Access the running SickGear at http://localhost:8081
To auto start at boot time (Ubuntu)... (thanks to @kevin201 - Mar 4, 2020)
Edit or create /etc/rc.local
Add /snap/bin/sickgear -d (items in rc.local run as root so sudo is not reqd.)
Save, exit, then reboot
More info (or post issues/feature requests) at ...
For versions of Ubuntu between 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr) and 15.10 (Wily Werewolf), as well as Ubuntu flavours that don’t include snap by default, snap can be installed from the Ubuntu Software Centre by searching for snapd.
Alternatively, snapd can be installed from the command line:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install snapd
Either log out and back in again, or restart your system, to ensure snap’s paths are updated correctly.
To install sickgear, simply use the following command: