Release notes: Snapcraft 3.2
These are the release notes for Snapcraft 3.2, which includes new features and essential bug fixes.
For general details, including installation instructions, see Snapcraft overview, or take a look at Snapcraft release notes for other Snapcraft releases.
New in this release
This feature is equivalent to the stage-packages keyword, but instead of using packages from the build environment’s repositories, it uses snaps hosted on the Snap Store.
The semantics are the same as those for
build-snaps; when declaring a snap to be staged, the snap will be retrieved from the Snap Store and unpacked into the snap being built.
snap directories from the snap will be available as
snap.<snap-name> for cases where assets from those locations are desired for reuse.
Schema migrated from yaml to json
This makes our scheme easier to reuse in editors such as Visual Studio Code with syntax and error highlighting in-place.
See Snapcraft scheme validation in VSCode for an early preview.
New colcon plugin
This plugin enables the new build system that targets ROS2. It’s currently classed as experimental, as the build system is actively being worked on by the Open Source Robotics Foundation.
These are the options the plugin offers for a part needing to build with
- colcon-packages: (list of strings) List of colcon packages to build. If not specified, all packages in the workspace will be built. If set to an empty list (), no packages will be built, which could be useful if you only want ROS debs in the snap. - colcon-source-space: (string) The source space containing colcon packages (defaults to 'src'). - colcon-rosdistro: (string) The ROS distro to use. Available options are bouncy and crystal (defaults to crystal), both of which are only compatible with core18 as the base. - colcon-cmake-args: (list of strings) Arguments to pass to cmake projects. Note that any arguments here which match colcon arguments need to be prefixed with a space. This can be done by quoting each argument with a leading space. - colcon-catkin-cmake-args: (list of strings) Arguments to pass to catkin packages. Note that any arguments here which match colcon arguments need to be prefixed with a space. This can be done by quoting each argument with a leading space. - colcon-ament-cmake-args: (list of strings) Arguments to pass to ament_cmake packages. Note that any arguments here which match colcon arguments need to be prefixed with a space. This can be done by quoting each argument with a leading space.
Full list of changes
The issues and features worked on for 3.2 can be seen on the 3.2 launchpad milestone which are reflected in the following change list:
List of changes for Snapcraft 3.2
- many: support for stage-snaps (#2468) (LP: #1805214)
- project loader: do not leak a part’s build-environment (#2472) (LP: #1815658)
- build providers: remove dead code (#2474)
- tests: disable spread colcon tests (#2476)
- ci: shallow clones for CLA checks on travis (#2477)
- meta: handle symlinked hooks (#2478)
- project loader: remove special LD_LIBRARY_FLAGS handling for classic (#2485) (LP: #1817300)
- sources: avoid marking changes to the snap directory as dirty (#2475) (LP: #1806746, #1816397)
- cli: clean up snapcraft push output (#2469) (LP: #1804439)
- cli: handle legitimate provider exec errors (#2483)
- schema: convert yaml jsonschema document to a json equivalent (#2448)
- tests: make before/after items an array in schema test (#2465)
- ruby plugin: support new download URL (#2466) (LP: #1815336)
- colcon plugin: new plugin (#2456) (LP: #1805213)
- colcon plugin: support build-time chaining (#2486) (LP: #1816565)
Last updated 1 year, 7 months ago.