This quickstart how-to will guide you through the steps required to create, build and publish your own snap package with the snapcraft command line tool.
The purpose of this how-to is to provide Linux developers, packagers, and users with a basic and intermediate knowledge of how to package applications as snaps. It covers the following:
- an overview of the snap ecosystem
- a detailed explanation of the Snapcraft tool and its usage
- the syntax and components of the build recipe for snaps (the snapcraft.yaml file)
- the process of uploading a built snap into the Snap Store
Here’s what you need
- a basic understanding of Linux and the command line
- Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, or later, installed
- 10GB of free storage space
- access to the internet
The above requirements are specific to this tutorial. Other distributions can be used, and other platforms are supported. See Installing snapd for details.
- Snapcraft installation and setup
- How Snapcraft builds a snap
- Basic snapcraft.yaml example
- Intermediate snapcraft.yaml example
- Build and publishing example
Last updated a month ago.